Special Needs Trust & Guardianships for Special Needs Children

If you have a Special Needs child, you probably need to do more planning than just a simple Will.

Most parents of a special needs child should set up what is called a Special Needs Trust. A Special Needs Trust is a specific estate planning document allowing a parent to devise their assets to a special needs child but the money/assets are placed in a special trust for their benefit/use without affecting the child qualifying for essential government benefits and programs.

Also, a parent of a special needs child will also have to consider establishing a guardianship for that child when they reach the age of 18.  Once a child reaches 18 in Florida, the parent no longer has authority to handle that child’s affairs and may not have access to medical information or make medical decisions.  Establishing a guardian advocate will allow the parent to continue to handle that child’s affairs after they reach 18.

If you have a special needs child, call Whibbs Stone Barnett Turner, PA to schedule a free consultation to discuss proper planning for your special needs child.

To speak with an Estate Planning Attorney at Whibbs Stone Barnett Turner, PA please feel free to contact us or call toll-free 1-888-967-5721.